Subject: Re: Current
To: Alan Latteri <alatt@pobox.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/1996 09:42:20
On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Alan Latteri wrote:

> How come there are no current kernels in NetBSD-current.  I have an LC
> III no FPU and although I got it working fine with ADBTEST.110 kernel, it
> took some time get there.  I had been searching many of the mirror sites
> for current kernels which I thought would include the FPE stuff.  I tried
> the kernels offered by wormey but they didnt work. It seems there are
> many versions of things each which deal with a sepereate problem.  It
> would be nice if these bug fixes could start to be rolled into one
> distribution.  Never the less I am extremely happy with what I have and
> think it is great the this development is going on.  Does NetBSD/Mac
> support any audio beyond beeps.  I would like to be able to play AIFF or
> MPEG Audio files.

Alan,
As you discovered, the kernels from wormey will not work on the LCIII.
This is because the current official code does not support the LCIII,
because the ROMs of these machine is slightly different than the other
models, and the ROM Glue code has not yet been updated to support the
LCIII machines.

The ADBTEST kernels do work with the LCIII because they don't care about
the ROM Glue code at all.

Anyway, all the ADBTEST kernel have the FPE stuff included, and so do most
(if not all?) of the other kernels that are out there.  The FPE code is
enabled by default when you get the kernel source unless you manually
comment it out of the configuration file. I don't know why anyone whould
end up doing this, however, since the FPE code is used ONLY if an FPU is
not detected. (Can someone confirm this?)

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504