Subject: Re: Working kernel for a IIsi?
To: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.hahnemann.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1996 21:03:01
On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, Andrew Brennan wrote:

>    I've just run through netbsd11, GENERIC-2 and GENERIC-5 (will continue
>    to try others) and all are failing at a SCSI probe(?).  The error is
>    something to the effect of 'error code 91 at block 1280' and not being
>    able to mount root on sd0a.
>
>    I'm trying (start laughing now) to put a tiny installation on an unused
>    40mb disk - a Conner from the early days of the IIsi.  Everything else
>    seems fine, but I dunno if I might not have some other problem cooking.
>
>    Anyone have a working IIsi kernel they could toss my way?
>
>    andrew.  (brennan@crashprone.hahnemann.edu)

I don't know about the conner mechanism.  I've had problems with
SCSIProbe trying to read the internal Conner in my IIsi as well (not as a
ufs partition, simply using hfs to read the mac volume.)  I think
it *might* be a compatibility problem with that whole mechanism.

It'll probably work like a charm about the same time as the EZ135's.

Any ideas, anyone?  It fails under both SCSI drivers (NetBSD11 should
be the old one, the generics use the new one).

BTW, it could simply be a bad block.  Try running Norton Utilities.  If
it reads that the drive has a bad block athat needs to be remapped, we
can all breathe easy, because it would likely mean that my problem is
just a quirk of hfs version 0.00.  If it doesn't, it's another driver
difficulty.

Ideas, anyone?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |
<SIG>                                                                   |
|               The only difference between life and death              |
|                  is that life will eventually end....                 |
|_______________________________________________________________________|
|     THE ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT:         |   If there is one constant    |
|                                       |       in this universe,       |
|         And the Lord Said,            |          it is death.         |
|        Thou Shalt Not Quote           |            --Soran,           |
|            signatures....          ___|___   Star Trek Generations    |
|___________________________________|  ,,,  |---------------------------|
|                                     |o o|                             |
|/-------------------------------vvv--'-v-'--vvv-----------------------\|
|___|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|____|
|_|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|
|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|_|
|___|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|____|
|_|______|______|      La vie...  est interessante        |______|______|
|______|______|_|      La mort... est interessante        |____|______|_|
|___|______|____|      Mais cela... ce n'est rien!        |_|______|____|
|______|______|_|  ...Much learning doth make thee mad.   |____|______|_|

You can use pgp to send me encrypted messages using my public key (below).

</SIG>