Subject: Re: rumored netbsd on non-fpu macs
To: None <cghormle@reed.edu>
From: Andrew Foakes <andrew@foakes.demon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1996 14:19:30
Hi Chris,

Re your question:

==>..., if anyone is using netbsd on a non-fpu mac (especially
==> classic II), could they let me know what kinds of major problems
==> I can expect to run into...generally speaking?  My system is a Mac
==> Classic II (68030, 4 M RAM/80 M HD: 40 M partitioned for BSD).

to which Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu> replied:

==> I think you'll need John's ADBTEST kernel.  You can get the rest
==> from puma or ftp.eskimo.com.

ADBTEST kernels 110 and 111 do not run on a Classic II.  I e-mailed John to
this effect, just for information (I appreciate aeveryone's efforts on
NetBSD, so comments like the above are never critisms, just  hopefully
helpful descriptions of experience, if you see what I mean).  The best a
Classic II can do is with GENERIC#5 from puma booting with a serial
console.  However, my Classic II has an FPU.

As to the Classic II mentioned above, 40Mb hard disk and 4 Mb RAM is a
little hopeful, but worth the try.  Remember to make room for swap space!

My Classic II now runs GENERIC#5 from a serial console really well - but it
has a FPU, 10Mb RAM, 120Mb UFS partition and 20Mb swap partition.  Its
comfortable and fun!

Yours,

Andrew

Andrew Foakes             | I share my birthday with Mrs Thatcher.
andrew@foakes,demon.co.uk | But I'll share my opinion with anybody.