Subject: Re: What's the best mac for NetBSD?
To: Richard Dante <rdante@garlic.com>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@cyber3.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/1996 09:38:38
What do you want to do with the mac? If you already have an i386 netbsd box, I wonder if running netbsd on a mac makes much sense?

All of the macs are pretty slow. Fine for text based applications, but running anything graphics based under X is pretty pokey. There is no present color support, but there may be later. I have a Daystar 50 MHz accelerator on a mac II and it is usable, but compiles take a long time. The total number of macs running netbsd in the universe is no more than a few hundred (that's a guess) and with linux promissed for powermacs soon, I'd be surprised if netbsd didn't follow reasonably soon thereafter.

My point is (at last) if you want a Mac to run mac stuff, I'd buy a powermac and wait for netbsd to get there. Buying a mac that will run netbsd now, when you have an i386 netbsd box already, means you will be buying old obsolete mac technology that won't run the next generation mac software when it gets here. Copland and such.

You can always log on to the i386 from the mac if you need a unix fix.

Brad