Subject: Re: The User Survey on Puma
To: Andrew Foakes <andrew@foakes.demon.co.uk>
From: Steve Weiss <srw@hvcn.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/1996 21:18:22
At 3:24 PM 3/15/96, Andrew Foakes wrote:

>I just wanted to say that the user survey is an extremely useful source of
>information

That's true.

>So first an apeal to get everyone to put their machines on there.  A quick
>reminder of the URL:
>
><http://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/~spearce/>

I'll second that. It only takes a minute.

>However, one problem is that it seems a little difficult to update one's
>information.  In particular, I upgraded (or is that merely changed ;-) the
>for.mays kernel to the GENERIC-4 and then the GENERIC-5 kernel, but when I
>tried to update the information on the user survey, all that happened is
>that the chart now reports 2 Classic IIs with NetBSD whereas the search
>only reports me with the old information.  Did I upset it by dialling in
>from my work address rather than my home address?

Actually I just searched for classic II, and I found two records, but I
think only one record was for you (#118) and it showed the updated
information (GENERIC #5). It looks to me like your update went fine.

Perhaps your browser cached the search results from before your editing. If
that was the problem, you should remember to do a "reload" after editing.
Some browsers ignore the signal not to cache the result of a CGI program,
such as the search engine.

-srw
 Steven R. Weiss   |    srw@hvcn.org      | If you think education is
Computer Scientist | (313) 995-8250 x5632 |  expensive, try ignorance.