Subject: Re: disklabels
To: Kelly Campbell <camk@homer.spub.ksu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/1996 15:16:51
> One advantage of the current implementation of native disk labels (if you
> patch your kernel to use ) is that other unix systems can read the disks
> also. I was able to take a disk formatted under netbsd, and retrieve
> files on it from a sparcstation.
>
> I don't think there is a good way right now for the two different schemes
> to co-exist, unless Apple make's it so MacOS can recognize a UNIX disklabel,
> and there is a MacOS or HFS partition type (like there's BSD4.2, 4.4, swap,
> etc. now)

What I had in mind was for a drive to use either the "native" disklabel
or a MacOS disklabel. I doubt we'd ever be able to easily get MacOS to
be happy w/ a UNIX disklabel (though something like a DOS mounter
would do it; that's a lot of work :-(  ).

I agree that there are advantages to "native" disklabels, but we really
should be able to do both. Also, if we have a drive which has a MacOS
disklabel, we should make VERY sure the user knows what they are doing
when they write a "native" disklabel. :-)

Take care,

Bill