Subject: Re: FFS4.4?
To: None <sparta@imsa.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/1996 15:33:07
> You;ll pardon my ignorance of this matter, but I jsut wanted to make sure that
> there was still no chance of the botter or installer being particularly friend
> to the modern bsd filesystems?  Last I heard they couldn't, but I haven't been
> keeping good track.
>
> If we could just get the booter doing it, all woudl be welll since after an
> isntall, we could boot to a miniroot and convert the file system up to 4.4 and
> keep the miniroot around in lieu of the isntaller.

I don't think that the booter really has to understand the 4.4 fastfs, if
it can read the kernel, that's all it has to do.  The kernel itself
_does_ understand the newer filesystem, so it should be able to mount it
just fine.  The Mkfs utility still doesn't understand the newer
filesystem, though (unless someone has done something really recently and
not announced it).

Later.