Subject: Re: Direct to login
To: Alan Latteri <alatt@pobox.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/1996 15:03:27
On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Alan Latteri wrote:

> I installed MacBSD ADBTEST kernel on an FPU less LCIII.   Everytime I
> boot into MacBSD it says enter path off shell or press return for sh.  Is
> there anyway to have it boot directly to a login prompt?

Alan,
Here are two possible reasons for this:
1. Something failed during the boot, like fsck, and it wants to enter single
   user mode so you can correct it before going further.
2. You have the "Single User" button checked in the booter so that it
   won't go any farther than single user mode.

Can you type something when it gives you the prompt? Or is it just hanging?
My initial guess is that your problem is #2. If the single user box is NOT
checked, then please let us know what, if any, error messages you are seeing.
Once you are get past this point, you may also need to configure the
/etc/ttys file properly, if you haven't already looked into it.

Later,
	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504