Subject: Re: disklabels
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/1996 08:37:58
On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > As of about a year ago the way disklabels were constructed from the MacOS
> > partition information had bugs in it.  If we could construct our own native
> > disklabels we could bypass those bugs (if Allan hasn't fixed them already).

If I'm not mistaken, all of the problems were addressed by Allen's
rewrite of the code in question, about 6 weeks ago.

> If we want to support lots of partitions, we should probably do something like
> the Atari (or Amiga?) port did and go up to 16 partitons per drive. :-)

I'd like to see this, personally, but it means that the minor numbers of
all of your sd devices (in particular) would change. :-(  This will have
to wait for the arrival of better installation tools...  Having a
read-only Mac HFS filesystem would greatly speed up this possibility.

As for native disklabels, it would be very helpful to have them for those
folks who have more than one disk.  I'd rather not rely on partitioning
software when all I need is to dedicate an entire disk to NetBSD.  The
change looks fairly trivial after Allen's last partial rewrite, as has
been suggested here already.

--scott