Subject: Re: Via's
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/1996 16:28:43
On Mar 14, 13:18, The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Via's

> On altavista, I found several references to it as an abbreviation for
> RAM-Based Video, four multiple mentions of it in terms of GESTALT calls...
> but interfacing, nowhere.  What does the chip do, anyway?

RBV, RAM-Based Video, as stated. It's the chip that Implements the functions of
VIA2, and a few other things, including the Internal Video, in a IIsi. I assume
this architecture has been reused in other machines, but I'm pretty sure the
IIsi was the first to use it.

As people are actively searching for info, I'd suggest that there is a need to
keep track of what is found, where it was found, and a short summary of its
content, and value. Is this already being done somewhere? If not, and you would
all be prepared to log what you find, and summaries it, I'll stick up some web
pages to track this. I've also got the URLs somewhere for some of Apple's
hardware descriptions, and I'll put them into the database as a starter.

Bernard.