Subject: Re: dt on a SE/30 ?
To: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.hahnemann.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/1996 14:05:28
> ... any chance this can be made to work?  I've started it once or twice
> and it causes the screen to go white and I end up rebooting (although I

Probably this problem is caused by same reason Xmacbsd.950912 on puma
doesn't work with the SE/30 internal video.  I know the bug actually
is in the kernel but I haven't been able to hunt the bug yet.

There's probably lines like this in the source:

	vaddr = mmap(fd, blah blah);
	if (vaddr == (caddr_t)-1) {
		/* failed to mmap the frame buffer */

where 'fd' is an open file descriptor of /dev/grf0 device and 'vaddr'
stands for virtual address.  Variable names may be different from
this.  If you find the code fragment, change to:

	if (ioctl(fd, GRFIOCMAP, &vaddr) == -1) {
		/* failed to map the frame buffer */

and recompile dt.

> suppose I could pipe 'ps ax' to /dev/console and kill the dt process to

Actually you could exit all dt sessions by blindly typing keys and
NetBSD would run as if nothing has happened.

ken