Subject: Re: Ethernet Cards
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@cyber3.servtech.com>
From: Kirk Boston (bs ifsm) <kbosto1@gl.umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/1996 08:31:14
On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Brad Salai wrote:

> I didn't get a chance to try it, but I had a 3COM card for a while, and it is physically almost identical to the Apple ethernet card. I suspect that it would work.
>
> I recently got a Focus ethernet card to work, it has the same chip as the apple and 3com cards, but otherwise looks completely different.
>
> Brad
>

> > > Will 3Com Etherlink/NB Nubus cards work with NetBSD?
> > >

> > If it has a SONIC chip, no, not yet.  If it has an 8390, maybe so.  For a
> > list of currently working cards, check out:
> >
> > http://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/macbsd/macbsd-docs/ethernet.html
> >

> > --
> > Colin Wood                                      ender@is.rice.edu
> > Consultant                                        Rice University
> > Information Technology Services                       Houston, TX

Well I got an apple ethernet card just last week in hopes that it would
solve the error reports that I was getting during boot.
some error about memory on the card.
The focus card still worked and there is no problem with network traffic
on the focus card.

well the Apple ethernet card came and I installed it without thinking
about the chip that is in it, but I put it in and started the machine.
well the first thing that it does is want to go to appletalk.  I install
the drivers from the disk that apple supplies with the card and get
ethernet running on the card and the apple network shows up.  well I boot
mac bsd and it finds the card on nubus port e.  When I go and run ping on
the booted machine, no luck the card is not working....

Well I pop the card out and see a sonic chip and say drak...

so boys and girls it is a mean world and don't take the card at face
value.

and rember use the 8390 chip luke...

Kirk Boston, RCDD
Systems Admin/JOAT at Prince Georges County Public Schools...
MY OPINIONS mine.  mine.  mine.
It's not the fall that kills you it's the sudden stop at the end...
The early worm has a death wish...