Subject: Re: A couple of questions re my problem...
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1996 14:06:00
On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> The programmer switch generates an NMI, which the CPU will always
> respond to. The problem can be one of two things: the system can be so
> royally hosed that the NMI response points to never-never land.

Good point.  That was a stupid mistake there, forgot it was an NMI.  Yup,
my powerbook gets that royally hosed every time I wake it from sleep.
Bummer....  :-(

> > > I'm working on the assumption that this is a file system problem,
> > > rather than solely the fault of the SCSI driver.
> >
> > I'd think it's a compatibility issue -- something in the drive not
> > responding like the driver thinks it will.
>
> Sounds like our driver's at fault. :-(

What happens if something weird happens and the drive is off when the
SCSI driver sends a request?  Does it properly give an I/O Error or does
it freeze until the drive responds to a request it never received?  Does
it try several times like a TCP packet or does it assume a good
connection to the drive?

In other words, could certain combinations of peripherals cause such a
slowdown of the SCSI bus that packets are getting lost before they get to
the EZ drive or could the EZ drive be sending a signal that it can't
handle the throughput that's not getting back, or could there be
something else like that handshaking wise?

Thoughts?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |
<SIG>                                                                   |
|               The only difference between life and death              |
|                  is that life will eventually end....                 |
|_______________________________________________________________________|
|     THE ELEVENTH COMMANDMENT:         |   If there is one constant    |
|                                       |       in this universe,       |
|         And the Lord Said,            |          it is death.         |
|        Thou Shalt Not Quote           |            --Soran,           |
|            signatures....          ___|___   Star Trek Generations    |
|___________________________________|  ,,,  |---------------------------|
|                                     |o o|                             |
|/-------------------------------vvv--'-v-'--vvv-----------------------\|
|___|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|____|
|_|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|
|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|_|
|___|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|______|____|
|_|______|______|      La vie...  est interessante        |______|______|
|______|______|_|      La mort... est interessante        |____|______|_|
|___|______|____|      Mais cela... ce n'est rien!        |_|______|____|
|______|______|_|  ...Much learning doth make thee mad.   |____|______|_|

You can use pgp to send me encrypted messages using my public key (below).

</SIG>