Subject: Re: PRAM & the Time Manager & interrupts
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1996 10:49:07

> At 5:21 pm 11/3/96, Ken Nakata wrote:
> >> On the origonal question (how to clear video interrupts), try debugging
> >> what a live MacOS system does to clear interrupts. It's a bit gross
> >
> >Isn't the on-board NuBus firmware supposed to take care of it?  In a
> >long-run, it might be better to utilize the on-board firmware, but it
> >means we are going to have to implement many more Mac ROM emulation
> >routines than we do now (my impression is that the on-board firmware
> >calls ROM routines rather casually).  And of course, this is probably
> >a prerequisit for color X server.
>
> Nubus firmware?  Is there any on non-nubus macs?  The machine's I'm hacking
> interrupts on, may not have any....

I agree w/ Ken that having the on-card firmware take care of interrupt-
clearing is the best long-term solution. Since we aren't there yet, I
was thinking we might learn from what the NuBus firmware is doing now.
Our solution seems not to work but interrupt servicing does work for
Apple, so let's let them educate us. :-)

The "NuBus firmware" we're talking about is basically the slot manager
stuff, which Apple has taken to including for non-NuBus Macs. They
recommend it, and it makes the OS code easier to write (only one set of
routines). For instance, my IIsi's internal video shows up as Slot 0
in my Mac.

Take care,

Bill