Subject: Re: PRAM & the Time Manager & interrupts
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/1996 11:20:37
[my discussion of NuBus firmware deleted]

> I quite agree.
>
> I have just got a copy of the MC68030 User's manual, and I'm about to learn
> all about interrupts and exceptions ;-S
>
> Does anyone (appeal...) know of any documentation on VIA2 or (even better) RBV?

RBV: no. VIA: I just got some out of an old databook. I've been looking
all over the net for some, but have found nothing.

> And no, /sys/arch/mac68k/mac68k/via.[ch] is not a good enough answer ;-)
>
> If we are to use the slot manager stuff, that means more MRG, doesn't it?
> Urghh...

For slot stuff, we have no choice. With the ADB, the problem is that the
number of variations of ADB hardware = variations of hardware (i.e. almost
every computer is different). But for cards, the number of variations
of cards is much greater than the number of different computers. So getting
a sufficiently-faked slot manager, even if there's almost a different one
per computer, would be a win. All video cards would work in all modes,
and if we had a way to use ENET drivers, a whole lot of Ethernet drivers
would work. :-)

Take care,

Bill