Subject: Re: A couple of questions re my problem...
To: Trevor Zion Bauknight <trev@innova.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/11/1996 14:25:58
On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Trevor Zion Bauknight wrote:

> I'm still getting a hang halfway through the multi-user boot sequence.  The
> last thing echoed to the terminal is
>
> starting system logger, time daemon(HANG)
>
> How do I attack this problem?  I can't edit the rc files directly because
> the fs is read-only.  Are cpin and cpout my solutions?  If so, what do I
> need to edit, and what do I need to not edit?

Yeah, you can.  Boot single user and type "mount -u /" to bring the root filesystem
up read-write.  Then use vi.

> PS:  IIvx, 12MB Ram, fs made on SyQuest EZ135, base11 and etc11 release
> binaries from puma's /snapshot directory, all kernels seem to hang at
> exactly the same point, but the one currently installed is the new
> GENERIC-5.  No other packages yet installed.

If I remember right, somebody else had trouble with the EZ135 as the root partition.
Same lockup point, had trouble doing anything even in single user.  I don't know
if they were able to get that working decently or not.  If so, probably by tweaking
something in mkfs or something, I'm pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with
any of the files in /etc, but I didn't read that carefully.

Updates, anyone?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |