Subject: Re: disklabel not updating?
To: Johnny C Lam <jlbg+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/11/1996 12:40:04
On Mar 10,  7:04, Johnny C Lam wrote:
> Subject: disklabel not updating?

> The man page says that using the switches '-w -r' is supposed to update
> the in-core kernel stuff as well as writing to the disk.

This is due to NetBSD-mac68k not using the disklabel on the disk. It reads the
MacOS partition table, and creates an in-core disklabel that approximates it.
This disklabel can't be written to the disk, as it would trash the Mac partion
table. As your machine still has to be booted from the MacOS, this is
reasonable behaviour. I understand it is possible to make a very simple mod to
the kernel sources to re-enable the code that does the writes, and reads of
native NetBSD format disks, with the result that any disks you do this to won't
be usable under MacOS without reformatting/partitioning/whatevering. Of course,
on a removable cartridge this is probably not a major catastrophe.

I think from memory that Kelly Campbell has done this and reported that it
worked fine.

Bernard.