Subject: disklabel not updating?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johnny C Lam <jlbg+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1996 07:04:02
I've been trying to set up a Zip drive for use with NetBSD/mac.  My
problem right now is that I can't seem to update the in-core kernel copy
of the disklabel information.

What I've done:
    1)  created an entry in /etc/disktab called 'zip100'
    2)  inserted the Zip disk into the drive
    3)  My Zip drive is SCSI device #1, so I ran:

            disklabel -w -r /dev/sd1c zip100

'disklabel' always causes a bunch of error messages to occur when run
for the first time.  It will say that it cannot modesense from sd1, and
so it will use a fictitious geometry for the drive.

Now, when I run

    disklabel -r /dev/sd1c

the output tells me the correct disk type: 'zip100' and the info I wrote
to the Zip disk.  However,

    disklabel /dev/sd1c

tells me that the in-core kernel copy of the disklabel is still set to
using the fictitious geometry.

The man page says that using the switches '-w -r' is supposed to update
the in-core kernel stuff as well as writing to the disk.

What went wrong?

    -- Johnny C. Lam
       Carnegie Mellon University
       jlbg@andrew.cmu.edu