Subject: Install/disk problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/1996 10:43:57
I am trying to install NetBSD and I am running into some strange
problems.

I have mac IIcx 68030/68882/Sound Chip (ASC Rev. 8)/
SCSI Chip NCR 53C80, no non-standard hardware as far as I can tell.

The disk is CONNER CFP1080S (external). I partitioned it
into MAC+Swap+Root, run Mkfs, Installer and booted into single user
mode. Unfortunately, the root file system did not come up clean so I
had to run fsck.

1) 'fsck /dev/rsd1a' reported BAD SUPERBLOCK: THE VALUES IN SUPERBLOCK
DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN THE FIRST ALTERNATIVE and then dumped core on
floating point exception.
2) 'fsck -b 32 /dev/rsd1a' reported some minor errors (free block
count wrong) and finished clean.
3) Even after that 'fsck /dev/rsd1a' would not run, but I can re-mount
root.
4) Shortly after that the kernel panic complaining about freeing free
block (something like that, I do not remember exactly)
5) Meanwhile, there are many messages
sd1(ncrscsi0:1:0): illegal request,
data = 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 C0 00 09 00 00

I have also noticed at first that the system was not cleared by
mkfs. When I run fsck for the first time after formatting the
partition, it reported many errors with the files size 589505315
bytes, which is 0x24242424 = '####'. I had to zero-out the entire
partition to have something more reasonable.

I used RapidTrak PD Formatter utility to create partitions (It came
with the drive). It installed its own driver and caching CP, it was
turned off. Apple HD SC Setup could not recognize the drive.

	Taras Ivanenko <ivanenko@ctpa03.mit.edu>