Subject: Re: MacBSD with SyQuest... it works!
To: Miyakawa Makoto <miyakawa@gol.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1996 21:39:16

> On my question 'MacBSD with SyQuest 270 removable', several members
> advised me how to run MacBSD on it. I appreciate you, who did for me.

Congratulations!

> BTW, some of this list mentioned the effect of editing /etc/disktab file.
> I have tried to edit it and run it with kernel11, but couldn't. If I edit
> /etc/disktab correctly, does it make work with kernel11? I can't edit
> /etc/disktab, so have to find other kernel? Or, don't I need to think
> about /etc/disktab? His kernel works on without editing /etc/disktab.
> That is why I confuse.

/etc/disktab is only used when paritioning a disk (I think) and when
making a filesystem on a partition. /etc/disktab dates back to before
the days of SCSI. SCSI dirves have the ability to tell the computer all
the information which previously had to be stored in /etc/disktab (assuming
the drive doesn't lie). Since we use MacOS partitioning programs,
we don't have to worry much about /etc/disktab.

Take care,

Bill