Subject: Re: IP router/gateway
To: Jorge Ivan Rodriguez <yod@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
From: Andrew Watson <awatson@lab.housing.fsu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1996 17:55:35
>I have a Mac PPP connection.
>
>Is there a way to find out my IP router/gateway?
>
>The MacTCP "gateway" box has my IP address in it and I know that can't be
>my router?

you could run traceroute from a unix box to your machine.  that would tell
you a lot.

if you are the only machine connected to that ppp connection, you are the
"router" because nothing else goes through you machine
but if you have an ethernet between a few machines and you are using packet
forwarding (like i am except that the router is running os/2) then the
machine that is connected to the ppp/slip is the router.

hope this helps.  mactcpwatcher does not have a "find router" type function
but it would be cool if it could behave like traceroute.  if it does
actually do this and i am ignorant please inform me.  i was thinking of
porting traceroute to MacOS just for fun...

andy
Andrew Watson and his Merry Band of Elves  |
awatson@lab.housing.fsu.edu                               |
watson@cs.fsu.edu                                                   |
http://lab.housing.fsu.edu/~awatson                  |
http://lysander.scri.fsu.edu/                                  |