Subject: Re: IIci hangs while idle
To: A. Forest Godfrey <ag5c+@andrew.cmu.edu>
From: Steve Weiss <srw@hvcn.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/09/1996 01:04:59
At 9:45 PM 3/8/96, A. Forest Godfrey wrote:
>    This question may have been answered earlier, but it was answered
>before I had the problem and I can't find the original post :(
>
>    Anyway, I have a IIci w/8 megs of RAM and a 120 meg hard drive (soon
>to be a gig...) that I am trying to bring up as an AppleShare (via CAP
>or NetAtalk) and a Web server.  Unfortunately, I have the following
>problem:  Before I put in an Asante 3-Com Ethernet Card (supports
>10-base-T and AUI), I had the machine runing for 7 days straight with no
>problems.  Then, I put in the card and hooked up the machine to the Net.
> Now, it hangs once a day.  The first few times, I didn't think to hit
>the debugger button and type "c".  However, I did today and at 5 in the
>afternoon, the following two messages printed (the date/time is right,
>actually!):
>Mar  8 03:03:15 hydrogren /netbsd: Panic switch: PC is 0x7f734.
>Mar  8 03:03:15 hydrogren /netbsd: ae0: warning - receiver ring buffer overrun
>
>    I am running NetBSD 1.1A with the Generic #52 kernel.  Is there a
>fix for this?  If I can be of any assistance with getting debugger
>traces, etc for this, let me know!

This bug is known and fixed.

A little over a month ago I found a bug in dev/if_ae.c, the apple ethernet
card driver, in which it failed to lower the interrupt that the card raises
when its tally count registers overflow. This results in a perpetual
interrupt hang. The mean time to fail is a function of network traffic.

Allen fixed this and checked the edits back into the source tree on
February 2. There are several kernels in his outgoing directory on puma
that have been built with this problem corrected. The earliest being
netbsd.please.test (4feb), and the latest being netbsd.GENERIC-5 (7mar).
Check the README in

ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/outgoing/briggs/

My IIci used to hang every 3-5 minutes before this fix (we have very high
traffic) and now it has been up for about 2 weeks running GENERIC-3.

-srw
 Steven R. Weiss   |    srw@izzy.net      | If you think education is
Computer Scientist | (313) 995-8250 x5632 |  expensive, try ignorance.