Subject: Zip disk partitioning
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johnny C Lam <jlbg+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1996 19:42:00
    I've looked through the past few months of the archived mailing
lists to find out how to setup a UFS on a Zip 100 disk.  From what I've
read, there has been one success (by Jon Howell) using the following
procedure:

    i)  format the Zip disk with Iomega Tools
   ii)  partition the disk with SilverLining
  iii)  mkfs,

and another success (by wookie@us.net) where only the mkfs portion of
the procedure was described:

    Use "512" as the magic number for any values that weren't
automatically detected and any values that you know are valid that mkfs
needs to create a file system on a Zip disk (ex. tracks/cylnd = 512,...

The partitioning software I have is Transoft's SCSI Director, which is a
newer version of their APS partitioning software.  I have some questions:

    1)  Has anyone successfully used APS to partition a Zip disk for use
        with under NetBSD?

    2)  If I repartition my Zip disk with SCSI Director, the Iomega driver
        on the disk will be overwritten and the SCSI Director's driver for
        removable SCSI media will be installed on the disk.  If I reformat
        the Zip disk with Iomega Tools, then will the Iomega driver be
        reinstalled on the disk, and I'll end up with a usable Zip disk
        under MacOS again?

If you've successfully used a Zip drive under NetBSD, please send me any
details you may remember about how you did it.  I'll compile the
experiences, as well as my own, into a Zip-HOWTO and send it to Colin
Wood.

    --Johnny Lam
      Carnegie Mellon University
      jlbg@andrew.cmu.edu