Subject: Re: Help NSF and cdrom
To: Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
From: Jon Howell <jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/08/1996 10:24:01
> you have fallen victim to a common misunderstanding regarding NFS exports:
> NFS only exports single filesystems (or parts of them). So what you're
> telling NFS is to export your mount point (/cdrom).
>
> If you want to install FreeBSD then create a user called  cdrom, give it
> the home directory /cdrom, a valid shell (IMPORTANT !) and do a ftp install
> from FreeBSD.

Now wait a second -- you seem to be implying that one can't export a CD's
fs. I may be just some prehistoric caveman, who fell into a pit and was
frozen for thousands of years and thawed, and who doesn't know much about
"laws" and "statutes," but ... oops, sorry, SNL skit. I mean, I don't have
any experience with NetBSD's NFS exports, but I know I've exported CDs from
Alphas (OSF/1). So I'll bet it's possible in NetBSD, too, if the exports
file is correct.

                            Jon Howell
                 jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu
     603-643-2460 (h) 603-646-3297 (w)