Subject: Re: Help NSF and cdrom
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@eng.umd.edu>
From: Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1996 12:15:48
Christopher R. Bowman wrote on 6.3.1996
  Help NSF and cdrom

- I have a FreeBSD cdrom that I want to use to bootstrap a pentium, and the
- way I wanted to do it was by slapping my cdrom drive into my IIci, and have
- netbsd NFS export the cdrom drive.  Well so much for the theory!  I created
(deleted)
- the nfs exported files from the netbsd machine, but not the /cdrom files.
- What gives? it seems that NFS will only let me export files on the root
- partition.  How can I export this cdrom?

Hi,

you have fallen victim to a common misunderstanding regarding NFS exports:
NFS only exports single filesystems (or parts of them). So what you're
telling NFS is to export your mount point (/cdrom).

If you want to install FreeBSD then create a user called  cdrom, give it
the home directory /cdrom, a valid shell (IMPORTANT !) and do a ftp install
from FreeBSD.

ciao
  lutz

Lutz Albers                                     |       What's good ?
Luederitzstr. 14, 81929-Muenchen, Germany       |      Life's good -
email:lutz@muc.de          ph: +49-89-93940364  | But not fair at all
http://www.muc.de/~lutz    fax:+49-89-93940365  |          (Lou Reed)

Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.