Subject: LCII booting !!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG, briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Markus Hitter <M.Hitter@trier.fh-rpl.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/1996 22:35:19
Hi !

Well, it might be the result of an lucky accident, but I have managed it to
compile a kernel which is booting fully to the login prompt on a LCII. It boots
in single user as well as in multi user mode, just the keyboard is missing. You
should be able to login through the seriel ports, but I have not yet tested
that.

How did it happen? I prepared to play around somewhat with John Wittkowski's
ADB code and sup'ed fresh sources (Yes, I have sup running on my Linux box,
now). So I built a kernel from the current soure without and with John's
patches. To make the code smaller and simpler I turned off a lot of the config
options (all net support and FPSP). The result should be one kernel going as
good as the ADBTEST.110 kernel. But in opposite to ADBTEST.110 this kernel
seems to be fully operational (except ADB support). No 3 minute delay, no stop
when looking for the disks as seen with ADBTEST.110.

If someone wants a copy of this kernel, get it from
ftp://ftp.trier.fh-rpl.de/pub/incoming/netbsd.lc5.gz

Not tired I compiled a third kernel with some debugging messages (printf's)
inside the new adb code without changing any functionality. And, surprise,
surprise this third kernel is NOT running. It stops where ADBTEST.110 has it's
3 minute delay.

A look trough the code showed me that at the delay/stop time a lot of ROM
addresses get moved. John commented out some stuff in this file (macrom.c) so
the changing functionality may be a result of wrong/not initialized variables.
Work is in progress.

Question: In my source-code-travels I found some minor errors/typos in the
sources. How can I put this changes into the master source tree? I've heard of
a tool called 'cvs'. Is this for everyone's use? What is good behavior when
changing source in the master tree?

Good Night

Markus

 Markus Hitter                 email: hitterm@trier.fh-rpl.de
                               WWW: http://www.trier.fh-rpl.de/~hitterm
 Trier (Germany)               Voice: ++49/0651/828172