Subject: Re: IT WORKS!!!
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@law.roc.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1996 23:27:30

> > I took out the one bit grf1 card, moved the ethernet card to a slot after the
> > toby frame buffer card, and I'm on from the color classic running telnet.
>
> Cool!  (I know it's a bit late, but...  ;-)
>
> > one thing I noticed in a little preliminary testing is that arp -a returns
> > 192.168.42.1 incomplete  (I may have the ip address wrong, but the incomplete
>
> Hmmm...  That's a bit odd, but probably nothing to be too worried about
> unless it persists across a reboot with /netbsd and sync'd netbsd and
> arp binaries.

I just tried it again, I haven't for a while since it has been working, and I get:
law:~>arp -a
? (192.168.42.1) at 2:60:8c:8:fd:8f permanent
? (192.168.42.255) at (incomplete)

I don't know what the second line means, but there it is. The network seems to work fine, I have httpd working as a proxy server. Things are -good-

> > Is there anything I can try to issolate the problem further?
>
> I'm still pretty sure that it's something with the Nubus interrupt
> handling.  I don't know why it's so position-dependent.

Well, just to make sure I 've explained it correctly, it is only position dependant insofar as how it fails, it fails equally well both ways.

When the ethernet card is last, higher numbered slot, it fails when the card is identified during bootup. When the ethernet card is first, boot does not fail at the video card, but the ethernet card causes a crash when it is accessed later.
That is consistant with your theory about interrupt handling. Could interrupts from the cards be conflicting? I do have a toby frame buffer card installed that causes no problems. The Samsung card works fine without the ethernet card.

Let me know if I can try anything, or give you more information.
It is great having the ethernet working, but I miss my other monitor.

Thanks for all the help

Brad