Subject: Re: ttys
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1996 19:29:04
> > I was trying to follow a suggestion in Essential Systems Administration and
> > create two pseudo tty's, ttyd0 and cua0 to use for dial out and dial in
> > respectively, I did mknod and think I successfully created both, changed
> > /etc/ppp/options to point to ttyd0, but I get back device not configured.
> > I don't get an error when I try to send ats0=2 to the modem via cua0, but
> > it doesn't work.

Of course, not.  That feature is clearly noted as SunOS specific in
the book (I believe FreeBSD supports it, too).

> Huh? What system was this suggestion for? As I understand pseudo tty's,

They are not pseudo ttys in the sense ptys are.  /dev/ttydN and
/dev/cuaN (where N is the port number) are connected to single serial
port, but they have different minor device numbers.  This feature of
SunOS allows the sysadmin to set up the port "bidirectional" so that
logging in from outside and dialing out to outside both work without
having two separate modems for dial-in and dail-out.  Of course only
one direction works at a time.

As to why NetBSD doesn't support the feature, I have no idea.

> > I was working ok last night using tty00 for both, but I have no clue what
> > the line in ttys was, and cant even get back to where I was.

Did you re-make /dev/tty00?

> Copying the tty01 line would work. :-) I think it should go something like:
> tty00 "some getty command" vt100 off secure

It's

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure

by default, but I'd make them insecure which I just did (remove the
keyword "secure" to make it insecure).  Root can log in on secure
ttys, and I don't like the idea that someone can dial-up and log on as
root in the system from outside although, in this case, it doesn't
make much difference since getty on the port is turned off.

For the dial-in ports, the keyword "off" should be turned "on".  Try
"man 5 ttys".

ken