Subject: Re: ttys
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1996 12:37:46

> Well, you should never try new things when you are tired, and you should
> always back the old file up, but nevertheless, I've munged up my ttys file
> so that I can no longer get pppd to dial out, and I can't fix it.
>
> I was trying to follow a suggestion in Essential Systems Administration and
> create two pseudo tty's, ttyd0 and cua0 to use for dial out and dial in
> respectively, I did mknod and think I successfully created both, changed
> /etc/ppp/options to point to ttyd0, but I get back device not configured.
> I don't get an error when I try to send ats0=2 to the modem via cua0, but
> it doesn't work.

Huh? What system was this suggestion for? As I understand pseudo tty's,
you need a program hooked to the back of them. I'm not aware that
we have such a program, so I doubt they'd work.

> I was working ok last night using tty00 for both, but I have no clue what
> the line in ttys was, and cant even get back to where I was.
>
> Can anyone offer a suggestion, or point out where to look. I did man
> gettys, but haven't been successful.

Copying the tty01 line would work. :-) I think it should go something like:
tty00 "some getty command" vt100 off secure

the order of the words after the getty command is important, but should
be the same as the other lines in ttys.

Good luck!

Bill