Subject: Serial Port Architectures (was: serial console on printer port)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Josh Moyer <jmoyer@genesis.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1996 01:41:10
[snip]
>We have no indication that there is any
>difference between serial ports on any non-PowerPC models, except those
>with only one serial port (in which case we don't really know what
>happens).
What do you mean by "difference"?  Apple has used a number of ASICs to
handle serial port functions.  Depending on which ASIC is involved, GPi on
pin 7 may not be supported, which probably means that there are other
differences as well.  Also, some non-PPC macs have DMA serial ports (Q
660AV & 840AV), some have I/O processors (Q 9x0, 700, IIfx), and some have
a ninth pin that provides +5V off of the ADB, just like the GeoPort (Q 605,
LC575(?), the LC 520 was *supposed* to, others?).

  SMTP/MIME:  jmoyer@genesis.tiac.net  |   Show your dogcow that you love it;
    http://genesis.tiac.net/jmoyer/    |     give it a can of Mountain Dew.