Subject: Re: zsh - vt emulation
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1996 01:22:59
I wrote:
>Unfortunately, zsh still cannot interprete arrow keys.  Is this a termcap
>issue (i.e. does termcap handle input as well?).  I can of course manually
>bindkey them, but I'd rather get to the root of the problem.  I am
>assuming that ncurses wouldn't help, since that's output stuff only.  So I
>am forced to think that it is a bug in the particular (admittedly beta)
>version of zsh I am using.  Especially because tcsh can recognise my arrow
>keys fine.
>
>I'll investigate it more, and then post to one of the zsh lists about it.

OK.  It's quite simple, really.

zsh is expecting (it's hard-coded into zle_main.c, for those with a copy of
the source handy) "^[[" to introduce an arrow key, followed by {A,B,C,D},
whilst apparently both the console and dt send "^[O"{A,B,C,D}.

Does anyone understand this discrepance.  Valtteri Vuorikoski says that dt
can be re-configured by #defining PRESENTATION in config.h, but I am
intrigued as to what the 'standard' is here, and who is 'wrong'.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |