Subject: Re: MacBSD with SyQuest 270 removable
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Miyakawa Makoto <miyakawa@gol.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/06/1996 02:40:53
At 20:02 96.03.04 +0100, Angel.Orille@extern.lrz-muenchen.de wrote:
>the problem is in the UNIX filesystem that needs
>a non changing disk-geometry like it does on removable drives.
>The MacOS doesn't care about the geometry of a drive.
>Your solution might be to edit the /etc/disktab file
>and set your parameters there.
>
>Check with Lutz Albers (lutz@muc.de), he has got a zip100 drive to work,
>he might be able to give you further advice.

Hi Angel Orille Franz,
Yes, I'm trying to edit /etc/disktab entries. However,
I don't understand the meaning of disk geometry and /etc/disktab
completely.

Though I edited it as sample in force, SyQuest save as garbage on.

Thus, I installed MacBSD onto internal HD again
and created new 130MB root&usr partition on SyQuest.
Then I made run newfs from internal HD to create new
file system on SyQuest. After edited /etc/disktab on internal HD,
SyQuest was mounted from it.
I could place some files on SyQuest. Finally, it was into debugger...

* Following values are related to SyQuest 270MB removable

Mkfs default values;
-----------------------
Sector Size: 512
Block Size: -
Bytes/Sector(Hardware): -
Sectors/Track: 100
Tracks/Cylinder: 2
Num Cylinder: 3140
Bytes/inode: -
Cylinders/Group: -
Spare Sectors/Track: -
File System Size: 260650

At MacBSD booting, it shows me following;
ncrscsi0 targ 2 lun 0 : <SyQuest, SQ3270S, 1_21> SCSI2 0/direct removable
sd1 at scsibus0 : 256MB  3140cyl, 2head, 83sec 512bytes/sec

Also HDT said;
-------------
Track per Zone: 860
Alternate Sector per Zone: 200