Subject: Re: zsh - vt emulation
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1996 20:57:59
> OK.  It's quite simple, really.
>
> zsh is expecting (it's hard-coded into zle_main.c, for those with a copy of
> the source handy) "^[[" to introduce an arrow key, followed by {A,B,C,D},
> whilst apparently both the console and dt send "^[O"{A,B,C,D}.
>
> Does anyone understand this discrepance.  Valtteri Vuorikoski says that dt
> can be re-configured by #defining PRESENTATION in config.h, but I am
> intrigued as to what the 'standard' is here, and who is 'wrong'.

I think the difference is that in one case you get a ^[O and in
the other, you get a ^[[. :-) The vt100 had two different modes it
could work in. All the ULTRIX boxes at my lab expect presentation
mode, whereas NetBSD, AIX, and the mac vt100 emulators all default to
non-presentation. Thus on the ULTRIX boxes, I can't use the arrow
keys while inserting in vi (though I can when not inserting).

I don't know more than that. Sounds like zsh is being naughty;
the termlib/termcap stuff should be taking care of this,
not its hard-coding. :-)

Take care,

Bill