Subject: Re: IIci boot problem
To: Jorge Ivan Rodriguez <yod@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1996 16:27:47
> 1) I am using the regular distribution kernel.  However, I want to compile
> the Generic 52 kernerl I think it is called.

Consider grabbing

ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/outgoing/briggs/netbsd.scsi

and using it instead.

> 2) Do not know.  However, I opened it with vi and it looked like garbage
> (i.e.run on ramdom text; is this is code?)

It is supposed to be a regular text file.  You should be able to make
some sense out of it.  If I were you, I'd ftp a copy of it off of
ftp.netbsd.org (or your local mirror).  It is located in:

/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/src/etc/etc.mac68k/ttys

> Questions:
>
> 1) How do I install just the ttys file?

You can use the install utility to cpin the file once you have ftp'd it
from the netbsd site.

> 2) What are the advantages of having a separate root and user partition on
> my drive.  I am soon going to reintall and re-partition a new drive and was
> wondering whether I should do this?

I don't know if there are any real advantages or disadvantages, other
than the fact that when a filesystem crashes, it is usually only one
filesystem that gets damaged.  Thus it might be a good idea to separate
/usr (which is probably used quite often, but not highly customized) from
/, which often contains the /etc directory.  As most customizations are
made in this directory, you might want it to remain on a filesystem is
not used as often and is perhaps less likely to crash.

Perhaps someone else on the list has more insight into this question.