Subject: Re: ADB interface
To: Brian Wimberly <brianw@scripps.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1996 14:48:24
On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Brian Wimberly wrote:

> Thanks for the info. Let me know if there are any other tests
> that might be useful on my PB 170. Do you advertise when your
> new kernels are ready for testing, or should I check your web
> page now & then?

I normally announce it on the list when there is a new kernel.

<snip>
> However, in this case it's clear that they wouldn't sell
> any more hardware by releasing such docs, so my guess is they wouldn't
> release anything.

I think you are right here, although releasing specs for old stuff wouldn't
really _hurt_ them, either. Although it didn't really bother me
much in the past, Apple's lack of supporting the user community in this way
continues to erode my desire to purchase another Mac in the future. Brand
loyality by their customers is something which Apple depends on,
and mine is very slowly slipping away. The mklinux announcement was a boost,
however, so perhaps Apple will wake up.

> I imagine someone from NetBSD/Mac 68k must have tried getting info
> from Apple already, right?

I know some people who have tried, although not all of them were from the
NetBSD/Mac68k group.

> Would it be any use to try to get some advice from Tenon? Surely
> MachTen and NetBSD/Mac68k are different enough products, with
> sufficiently different target buyers, that Tenon wouldn't lose
> much in the way of market share by providing some advice on
> the powerbook ADB interface.

Well, first of all, even if they did have a spec, they would probably
be bound by contract not to release it. Second, MachTen runs on top of
MacOS. NetBSD completely takes over the machine. This means that MachTen
can just grab the ADB related info as events, just like any other MacOS
program, so they don't really need low-level info.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504