Subject: Re: ADB interface
To: None <jpw@insoft.com>
From: Brian Wimberly <brianw@scripps.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1996 10:46:39
John,

Thanks for the info. Let me know if there are any other tests
that might be useful on my PB 170. Do you advertise when your
new kernels are ready for testing, or should I check your web
page now & then?

I thought a bit about how one might get more info on the powerbook
1xx ADB interface. I guess the obvious thing would be to try to
convince Apple to release some of their docs. Apple's commitment
to MkLinux on the PowerPC does suggest that they do realize that
there is a significant number of technically oriented people who
are more likely to stick with Macintosh if they can run UNIX on
their Mac. However, in this case it's clear that they wouldn't sell
any more hardware by releasing such docs, so my guess is they wouldn't
release anything.

I bounced this strategy off a few people. One person, not from Apple
but who has a lot experience with Apple, guessed that Apple might not
even have a well-defined set of docs. Most people thought Apple
wouldn't release anything.

I imagine someone from NetBSD/Mac 68k must have tried getting info
from Apple already, right?

Would it be any use to try to get some advice from Tenon? Surely
MachTen and NetBSD/Mac68k are different enough products, with
sufficiently different target buyers, that Tenon wouldn't lose
much in the way of market share by providing some advice on
the powerbook ADB interface.

Just my neophyte two cents' worth,

Brian