Subject: Re: ignorant questions
To: Steve B <srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1996 10:32:57
>Colin Wood wrote:-
<snip>
>I'd be happy to write the HOW-TO for serial console booting if no-one
>else is already doing / has already done this. (Please let me know if
>they have!)
>
>The basic scope will be :-
>i) How to connect and test a serial console using another mac, a PC and a
>dedicated terminal (eg vt100 unit) including pinouts of cables.
>
>ii) The procedure that needs to be followed to enable a serial console to
>be useable in multi-user mode using the 1.1 distribution.
>
>iii) Any machine specific "glitches"
>

>For the last point, can anyone who knows of machine specific problems
>email me at srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk to let me know what they are so I can
>include them.  I guess I need to know about machines with only one serial
>port as well (it could get a touch confusing otherwise!)
>
>I'll wait for a day or so before I start on it to give people a chance to
>scream NOOOOO at me if I shouldn't bother.
>
>Any comments/ suggestions, please email me on the address above

I've seen people mention that you can connect a printer to a port on some
terminals. I have a vt102, and it has what looks like a db25 connector on
the back.
Just in case you are looking for ideas to make the job longer, this would
be interesting to include.
I haven't tried this.

Brad

Stephen B. "Brad" Salai                       bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com
Cumpston & Shaw                               Office (716) 325-5553
Two State Street                              Fax    (716) 262-3906

Rochester, NY 14614                           Home   (716) 377-4624