Subject: Re: ignorant questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve B <srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/05/1996 12:01:20
Colin Wood wrote:-
> This question brings up a rather important point.  As more machines
> become runnable, but only under serial console, it is becoming rather
> necessary for information on using a serial console to be readily
> available.  This might mean a new section in the FAQ, but I think it
> would be better served by someone writing a HOW-TO document.  As I don't
> run serial console, I am asking that someone who is please do so.  If you
> don't want to go to the trouble of formatting it using linuxdoc like the
> rest of the macbsd info, just send me the text and I'll be happy to do
> that part for you.  Or, if you'd rather do that part yourself, I'd
> recommend looking at some of the Linux how-to's to see how its done.  If
> anyone picks up this project, I, and many future MacBSD users out there,
> would be most grateful.

I'd be happy to write the HOW-TO for serial console booting if no-one
else is already doing / has already done this. (Please let me know if
they have!)

The basic scope will be :-
i) How to connect and test a serial console using another mac, a PC and a
dedicated terminal (eg vt100 unit) including pinouts of cables.

ii) The procedure that needs to be followed to enable a serial console to
be useable in multi-user mode using the 1.1 distribution.

iii) Any machine specific "glitches"

For the last point, can anyone who knows of machine specific problems
email me at srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk to let me know what they are so I can
include them.  I guess I need to know about machines with only one serial
port as well (it could get a touch confusing otherwise!)

I'll wait for a day or so before I start on it to give people a chance to
scream NOOOOO at me if I shouldn't bother.

Any comments/ suggestions, please email me on the address above

Thanks
Steve Bowers

srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk
.