Subject: Re: serial console on printer port
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jell-O <wookie@us.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1996 18:47:43

> > I cannot get a serial boot from the printer port on my Classic II either
> > - it appears to be trying to boot to a local console when set to use the
> > printer port for booting. I'm using booter 1.8 and I've had to stick my
> > modem on the printer port as well so I can have my vt100 on the serial
> > port so I can boot up.
>
> This problem is strange. In my testing, serial console worked on
> both ports (on my IIsi). We have no indication that there is any
> difference between serial ports on any non-PowerPC models, except those
> with only one serial port (in which case we don't really know what
> happens).
>
> For those having problems, does serial echo work? Also, look at the
> variables passed by the booter to the kernel, and tell me what
> the values for SERIALCONSOLE and SERIALECHO are.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bill

I'm using a P550 to boot up using the Serial console.  I have tried to use
the printer port and instead of it opening a session on that port, it opens
a DTR connection to the modem port.  I'm at work right now so I can't remember
if it actually boots up to the modem port.  I do remember my term. ready light
on my modem lighting up.  I'll test it when I get home.  I've tried a couple
different variables on this method, but I get the same results.

Jon
wookie@us.net