Subject: Re: ignorant questions
To: NetBSD Mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1996 14:08:15
> Hi. I have some ignorant questions to ask members of this list. First, what
> is meant by a serial console, and how exactly does one boot off of one? The
> problem is this, I installed NetBSD/mac68k on a Classic II and have
> received some good advice from experienced users on how to get the system
> to boot. However, I feel uncomfortable with the procedure because I just
> don't have a clear understanding of the basic terminology. I mean, I know
> what a console is, and what a serial port is, but I'm not sure of what
> constitutes a serial console. Do I need a second Mac connected to the
> Classic II? If so, by what kind of cable?

This question brings up a rather important point.  As more machines
become runnable, but only under serial console, it is becoming rather
necessary for information on using a serial console to be readily
available.  This might mean a new section in the FAQ, but I think it
would be better served by someone writing a HOW-TO document.  As I don't
run serial console, I am asking that someone who is please do so.  If you
don't want to go to the trouble of formatting it using linuxdoc like the
rest of the macbsd info, just send me the text and I'll be happy to do
that part for you.  Or, if you'd rather do that part yourself, I'd
recommend looking at some of the Linux how-to's to see how its done.  If
anyone picks up this project, I, and many future MacBSD users out there,
would be most grateful.

Later.