Subject: Re: ignorant questions
To: Jim Kannengieser <jimk@htp.net>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1996 17:08:19
>Hi. I have some ignorant questions to ask members of this list. First, what
>is meant by a serial console, and how exactly does one boot off of one? The
>problem is this, I installed NetBSD/mac68k on a Classic II and have
>received some good advice from experienced users on how to get the system
>to boot. However, I feel uncomfortable with the procedure because I just
>don't have a clear understanding of the basic terminology. I mean, I know
>what a console is, and what a serial port is, but I'm not sure of what
>constitutes a serial console. Do I need a second Mac connected to the
>Classic II? If so, by what kind of cable?

You need another computer connected to the mac, yes.  If you have another
mac, a standard apple printer cable will do the trick nicely.  If you
don't, you need a null-modem cable with the appropriate end for whatever
you are attaching.  Actually, some dedicated terminals have both DTE and
DCE ports, so the need for a null-modem cable is probably obviated.

If you use a mac, you will need a terminal package on the 'console' mac.
Probably ZTerm or Microphone are fairly good (the former being free).

>Pardon my ignorance. I'm actually pretty embarrassed to ask these kinds of
>questions.

Hey, we all started somewhere.

Welcome aboard.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |