Subject: serial console on printer port [was: Re: any success with serial boot on PB 170?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve B <srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1996 14:39:06
On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > Worth noting:  I've had a horrendous time getting the serial console
> > running from the "printer" port.  I've given up and moved my modem there,
> > and put my terminal on the "modem" port.
>
> Huh? What kind of computer do you have? A PB 170? From NetBSD's point
> of view, they both work the same. If one works, the other should.
[snip]

I cannot get a serial boot from the printer port on my Classic II either
- it appears to be trying to boot to a local console when set to use the
printer port for booting. I'm using booter 1.8 and I've had to stick my
modem on the printer port as well so I can have my vt100 on the serial
port so I can boot up.

While I'm here, I keep getting dumped into the debugger every so often
with a Panic got DMA interrupt without DMA. If I type c it goes to
Syncing discs then either 2 or 17 repeated about 15 times at which time
my root discs light is on. It then goes giving up.. then the does'nt
trust itself to write to pram message and then tries to do a core dump I
believe and crashes - the last bit I think is due to me messing up my
netbsd file when I installed the for_mays kernel (I did something a bit
stupid involving rm)
This error seems to occur fairly randomly but also seems to be triggered
quite often by the fsck's in the startup sequnce. I sometimes get it when
I run fsck under single user (which when it crashes like that I quite
often need to do!)
Any ideas?  I'm running 1.1 on a classic II with serial console 6 megs
ram, 17 megs swap and 3 automounted file systems on sd1a /  sd2a  /home
sd0a /src

TIA

Steve Bowers
srb93@ecs.soton.ac.uk