Subject: Re: Ethernet card status report
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/04/1996 11:22:01
At 6:05 pm 3/3/96, Allen Briggs wrote:
>> This is broken on the MacII as well, I put a couple of printf's
>> in via.c,, and found that it enters enable_nubus_intr(void), but
>> hangs there.
>
>If you put a bit more debugging in, you'll probably find it actually
>hanging in via2_nubus_intr().

Interesting.  I'll check that myself this evening.

>> This seems like good info, any ideas about how to fix it?
>
>Other than properly loading the cards' drivers from them and running the
>proper interrupt routines, I don't know, and that will probably have
>some "fun" problems...  It would be _very_ nice if someone would pick
>this project up.  I think a couple of people started to, but I've not
>heard anything in a while.

In the absence of anyone more 'suitable', you can consider me to have
picked this project up.  Constraints of work + my girlfriend have prevented
me working on it for the best part of a week.  I will try and do some more
on it this evening.

Is anyone else out there having problems with ethernet cards?  I know about
Brad.

The situation seems to be :

I (jules@mailbox.co.uk) have the problem on an LCIII with an Asante/MacCon card.

Brad (bsalai@cyber3.servtech.com) has the problem on a MacII, but only when
his video card is in a lower numbered slot than the ethernet card.

Tim Howland (vsi@netaxis.com) has the problem on a performa 600, with an
Asante card as well.

Josh Moyer (jmoyer@genesis.tiac.net) has the problem on a 520, with an
Asante/MacCon card.

The symptom in each case is the machine hanging immediately after probing
the ae card.  Brad & I have built debugging kernels which show that the
hang is while trying to turn interrupts on, in enable_nubus_intr in via.c.

I originally assumed it was something silly about the Nubus emulation of
the LCIII's PDS slot.  However, the fact the Brad has the problem on a II
rather damages this theory.  His evidence rather suggests that the problem
is interrupts from the display card causing trouble.  Does the fact that it
only happens when the video card is in a lower slot mean anything to
anyone?

What is the gen on video interrupts?  Do we handle them on any machines at
all?  What are they for?  Just timing?

Could anyone not in the above list who has this or a similar problem please
email me with info?

Cya

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |