Subject: Re: Duo development
To: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1996 15:18:49

> Well, I'm finally ready to start Duo development - I have only a few
> questions:
> 	1)  Where is the entry point for netbsd (in the source)?

start: in mac68k/locore.s

Then lots of mac-dependent things happen, getting things ready to
start the kernel (like moving the memory around, etc). This all
ends with a jump to main, which is in kern/init_main.c. From this
point on, we're running mostly in C.

> 	2)  How do I use "gray bars" to help debug (from C? from assembler?)

Gray bars don't really work anymore. A better thing to do is to
liberally sprinkle around printf statements. Also, I'd suggest
sticking to C code. The compilers are good, and asm can be really
gross.

Warning: There are certain points where you might temporarily loose
console, especially in the next version of the serial drivers. This will
only be a problem right around where the IO space is getting moved around.
printf's elsewhere will be fine.

> 	3)  Should I be subscribing to another list on this server?

Not necessarily. There are some, such as tech-kern, which might be
interesting, but this list is it for mac68k work.

Good luck!

Take care,

Bill