Subject: Re: any success with serial boot on PB 170?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1996 11:32:35
Thanks for the pointer to the relevant code; like I said, I haven't
really had time to track it down, and I took the easy way out. :-)

On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I assume you are using a patched 1.1 kernel, such as:
> ftp://puma..../pub/outgoing/briggs/netbsd1.1-patched (I think that's the
> name).

I keep my kernels pretty -current.  I'm running one from source as of
about 24 Feb at the moment.

> So if you are using a fixed kernel, what is it doing when it boots?

The problem is (was) that it did nothing when I attached the terminal to
the printer port.  Not even the typical rate/parity mismatch hash (which
I'm quite familiar with).

> Maybe, maybe not. It's not an issue with single-user mode, but it is
> an issue for multi-user mode.

As indicated above, I'm not even getting kernel messages at autoconfig
time.  The problem seems to be further back.  However, I haven't tried
this for a month, so if I can find the time I suppose I can try again.

--scott