Subject: Re: any success with serial boot on PB 170?
To: Brian Wimberly <brianw@scripps.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1996 13:19:36

> Has anyone successfully booted MacBSD 1.1 on a PB 170 from the serial console?
>
> I finally got around to trying this on my PB 170. I was careful to disable
> RAM doubler, etc. I used a null modem cable connection to my 486 (thanks
> to those of you who offered advice on this).
>
> Boot messages appear on the PB screen, and it gets as far as asking for which
> shell I want ("enter path of shell or type return for sh). Nothing appears
> on the 486
> screen. Neither keyboard does anything useful, and both machines lock up and
> have to be rebooted.

Strange. The 486 shouldn't hang. Check your terminal emulator settings.

> Perhaps I should try a more recent kernel version?

Yes. There are 1.1 kernels w/ serial patches. Try one of them. I think the
code which got into 1.1 had console problems, and also the console was
set up to default to some strange tty settings.

Another thing to try is to boot multi-user w/ serial echo (though you'll
probably get a hang at the adb stuff).

Take care,

Bill