Subject: Re: Newer Kernels?
To: D Joe Broxson <a0037365@mail.wsu.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/29/1996 21:53:09
> I am running a MacII win 5 megs ram, newer ROM's and standard video
> card.  Nothing real special about this machine.  It has the FPU and the
> "black chip".

This has just been discussed on this list to the death.  In a
nutshell, you need to get either MC68851 PMMU or 030 accelerator.  Get
the mailing list archive for the last couple of days.

> I also have an LCII with 8mgs RAM and 512k vram.  I would like to get ONE
> of these machines working!  Is there another test/experimental kernel I
> can get out there (already compiled PLEASE)?

Is LCII an 020 or an 030?  If it has an 020, you need a PMMU just like
you do with Mac II.  But I'm not sure if LCII has a socket for it.
It's not problem with NetBSD/mac68k, it's just the 020 which isn't
capable of running any modern flavor of UN*X without the help of the
PMMU.

ken