Subject: Re: Sorry for the spam, but I have another one
To: Dave Goodwin - Tech Support <goodwin@Interpath.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1996 12:55:11
> What I was wondering is: if I want to have no Mac OS partition on my
> drive (one of the FAQs said this will work), what do I need to do?

It works only if:
	a) you have some means to boot MacOS (CD-ROM or floppy), AND
	b) you have access to the MacBSD booter (floppy, AppleTalk,
	or CD-ROM).

We don't have a bootstrap loader which directly boots NetBSD instead
of MacOS (yet).  All other requirements (e.g. 32-bit addr mode, no VM,
no RAMDoubler, etc) stand as well.

> I have the APS Power Tools Utility.  I assume that I can start up
> with a CD-ROM, for example, pop a floppy in with APS on it, and
> partition the drive appropriately, then... what?

Alternatively, you could put the files on another Mac and mount the
volume via AppleTalk.  I've personally never tried it because I cannot
run my both Macs simultaneously, but I heard it worked for people who
have tried.  In this case, everything can be on the remote volume(s).

Maybe you could borrow another CD-ROM drive, put MacOS CD-ROM for boot
in one drive and NetBSD CD-ROM (Wallnut Creek?) in the other, boot the
box from the first CD-ROM drive, and install MacBSD from the other.
In this case, you'll only need APS Power Tool in the floppy to make
partitions.

Don't forget you'll need the conditions stated at first in order to
boot MacBSD after installation.

ken