Subject: port working for 68040 yet?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Goodwin - Tech Support <goodwin@Interpath.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1996 04:57:01
I was reading over the info about the mac68k port on the www.netbsd.org
pages, and the info may or not be outdated, but it seems that NetBSD will
not work on 040 chips yet.  Is this true?  I have a Centris 650.

Also, I just had a general question.  I've never installed UNIX on a Mac
before, and I have *no* idea what it would be like.  Does System Software
even boot once you have NetBSD running, or what?  Do I need a LILO disk?
Would the ROMs in my box interfere with NetBSD booting?  Or does it
actually run under MacOS?  Also, is NetBSD similar to other CLI
programs?  Particularly Linux.  That, btw, is why I'm looking into all
this -- I wanna get as close to possible to Linux with my Mac.  Anyway, I
just basically have no idea what installing UNIX on a machine with Mac
ROMs will do; or how it will act.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Goodwin                                Interpath Technical Support
(919) 890-6305                                  711 Hillsborough Street
(800) 890-6305                                  Raleigh, NC  27603-1605
email: goodwin@interpath.net     URL: http://www.interpath.net/~goodwin