Subject: Re: Virtual(?) hostnames
To: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
From: Jon Howell <jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/1996 11:35:37
> Does anyone know if MacBSD will support Virtual hostnames (I may have that
> term wrong.  The idea is that you have two hostnames for the same machine.
> If one name is used, then one set of inet services is used, if the other
> name is used, then another set is used.)
I believe there are two ways to accomplish this. The easiest is to have
several CNAMEs in DNS that point to the same ANAME (which points to your
machine's single IP address); then the httpd server distinguishes the requests
based on the URL, which contains the desired nickname.

> Oh well, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know if it
> can be done under MacBSD.  I'd like something that supports more services
> than just http.
But, for any other service (ftp, telnet -- on the same port number), the
service doesn't have any way of knowing what name you used to refer to
it. So to accomplish, say, two distinct ftp servers at the same well-known
port, you need your machine to have multiple IP addresses (as well as
the multiple ANAMEs that come with). I don't know if netbsd can do this,
but I remember some talk about it a month or two back...

	--Jon

                            Jon Howell
                 jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu
     603-643-2460 (h) 603-646-3297 (w)